Monday, January 3, 2011

Ski Vacation 2010

December 27, 2010




Spending a few days at Sun Peaks, B.C. (near Kamloops – regrettably daughter#1 who lives in Kamloops is not here, but in Brandon, Mb) on a ski vacation. First of all I want to make it very clear that I am not a big skier – not aggressive at all – as an expert skier friend of mine once said, I’m more of a glider. That’s what I like to do – glide around the mountain.



Temperature today was about 0 degrees Celsius and there was 2.5 cm fresh snow. The sun was brilliant and the sky a gorgeous blue. The evergreens were blanketed in whiteness. The mountains were of course majestic.



So given the temperature I ventured out without my knit helmet under my hard, brain protection helmet. As I came down the first run I experienced brain freeze – from the outside in! Too much breeze. Went inside and got my knit helmet.



After another run we lunched on Mexican (think jalepenos) chicken burger and red wine. Very civilized. Was then too relaxed to ski any more, so took over the outdoor hot tub.

Very hot.

Then decided to roll in the snow.

Very cold.

Not so bright!

Then moved quickly to get the Cold FX Extra Strength.



December 28, 2010



Temperature today was about -7. About 3 cm of snow over night. Snowing this morning. Nice and sunny above the clouds – which was at the top of one of the lifts. I’ve heard skiers say that they like fresh snow. As for me, as I glide I like it because it helps to slow me down - I don’t have to drag my poles as much!



Wind was very cool – about 20 kmh. As I approached a flat section of a run I leaned into the wind and it almost stopped me. I envisioned that the gust would let go and I’d be down into chaturanga. Must remember tomorrow to do my yoga practice before I go skiing!



Ended the afternoon in the hot tub – but no rolling in the snow today!



December 29, 2010



Today it was cloudy, -13, 20 kmh wind and no new snow. Reminded me of last year when some B.C. residents told me, when it was -8, that it was almost too cold to ski. Guess that’s what comes from being in the granola belt. I remember learning to ski in Manitoba and regularly going out when it was -20, and only drawing the line not to go out when it hit -30. Finished the day skiing down a blue run (think “steeper” than my usual green runs) – which means I was gliding faster than usual. I was really dragging the poles! Almost wished I had some anchors on the ends of them to add more resistance.



Tomorrow I get to experience my present from Santa: I start the day with a deep tissue and hot stones massage. The spa says that I will “emerge relaxed and rejuvenated”. Then it’s off to sip wine with tapas for lunch. The restaurant says it is “somewhere to relax, sip distinctly European coffee, enjoy handcrafted soups and gourmet paninis for lunch, indulge in local and international wines, and enjoy the company and conversation of your partner.” I think Santa added that last part. Now it’s time to go to arrange an all day snowboard lesson for daughter#4 tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment, as with all comments on this blog, will be sent for moderation before publication.